Sunday, January 27, 2013

Went to church today. I am a Unitarian and haven't been to service for months because of the yoga training, the weather, and generalized tiredness...

I talked to the Adult Ed coordinator about teaching a seven or eight week class in stress reduction next fall. She says I probably wouldn't get paid and I told her that was alright. I'd love to teach liberal like minded folk most of whom are very bright. She wants to think it through and I understand that.

My guess is that I am going to have more private clients than I have time for once I get up and running.

I was reading last night in Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers that both the herpes virus and the varicella-zoster virus (that causes chicken pox and shingles) are so smart they contain a stretch of DNA that is sensitive to glucocorticoid signals, and when levels are up, the DNA sensor activates the genes involved in coming out of latency.

And the activation of the sympathetic nervous system (flight fright or freeze) increases the levels of glucocorticoids in the system. And socially isolated folks activate their sympathetic nervous system more than folks with a robust support network of family and friends.

So you see I go to church for scientific reasons. :)

It was great to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment